5/24/17

Flavorful Chicken and Potato Salad

Life in France is obviously different from life in the United States.  One of the most frustrating things to adapt to has been store hours.  Everything is closed on holidays, Sunday, and even often at lunch time.  This entails a little more meal planning than I am used to.  Back home, it does not matter if it is Thanksgiving Day and I run out of butter; all I have to do is run to the 24 hour grocery store, no sweat.  But here, things are trickier.  This little difference has caused me to think about my next meal even more than I normally would have, and to come up with recipes and meals that are make-ahead, portable and made with shelf-stable ingredients.  

Maisons Lafitte


A week or two ago I headed ten minutes from my house to Maisons-Lafitte for the day and knew that a pack-able, make-ahead meal would be necessary to take with me for lunch.  The grocery stores were already closed for the night, because they close at 8, and I had to work with what I already had on hand.  Thus, my new favorite potato salad was born.

You can make as much or as little as you like.  Eat it warm or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.  You will notice that none of my measurements are exact because each time I make it to taste.  

Ingredients

-potatoes
-chicken breasts
 -shallots, sliced (or onions)
-garlic, minced
-Dijon/Ancienne mustard
-mayonnaise
-salt
-pepper
-oregano
-paprika
-cumin



1. Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and boil until cooked through.  Meanwhile, poach the chicken breasts in a pot of water seasoned with bay leaves, spices, salt, lemon etc.

2. Shred cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss it in a bowl with the potatoes.

3. Add remaining ingredients to taste and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment